Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Pondering Life's Pathway

I have been  pondering my life lately and going over events that have happened in it. I really began to realize how very blessed I was growing up and still am to this day. I think about the blessing that I have two loving parents who support me in everything and my grandma who went out of her way and above her means to help us along our journey. I am even blessed enough to still have my great grandma alive to make memories with. I've talked to a lot of my friends lately who don't have grandparents, or take them for granted and never contact them unless it's a birthday or holiday. If you really think about it none of us would be here if it wasn't for our grandparents. I know seeing a loved one grow old is really hard, but they are still that same person who cared for you as a child or grandchild. The same grandma who prepared Christmas dinner every year and never complained or the same grandpa who would fix a broken toy when you were small. I guess I'm just trying to say never take them for granted. One day you won't have them anymore and you can't ask them about how they make their homemade rolls or how to sew a granny square. Whether they are in assisted living or on life support, never waste a moment that you could be visiting them. Take the time to hear their stories about growing up when times were harder or about being a young boy in the old wars. All of these times and stories will be lost and gone forever if we don't take the time to hear them, write them down, enjoy them. Spending that month with my great grandma in April and this past week I've enjoyed it so much. I've learned so much about her and our family. Why she won't eat green beans, how she met my great grandpa, how she worked really hard to care for her 9 children. How she and Grandpa moved closer to town so they could start a business and be closer to school for their children. Stories of loosing my great Uncle at a young age, how life goes on from there or how they had to drive my grandma to the hospital to deliver Dad. These are stories I want to be able to tell my children and grandchildren for years. I think about how I never visited her for 10 years and never really thought to call her , but she NEVER forgot my birthday. She has probably 60 people to think about and call, send cards to, but she never forgot about me, even when I didn't call or come see her. These are memories I never want to forget. If you haven't talked to someone or seen them lately, pick up the phone or go visit them. You will be glad that you did down the road. No one is guaranteed tomorrow or even another minute. Use the time while you have it. May God Bless your week! Katlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment